ProShow Producer: Not Working. No Support

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

ProShow Producer: Not Working. No Support

Postby AAJ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:32 pm

I've been using PSP for several years. I have often thought this PSP was one of the best written software I've ever used. Really enjoyed working with it.

But now it is hopelessly broken. Yes, I'm using v9.0.3797. But EVERY time I click on anything on the top left menu bar ("File-Edit-Show-Slide, etc), PSP will crash. Every time. The odd thing is that I have worked with this version on this computer for several months and I never had this problem. I have re-installed it but the problem is still there. You can watch a video of the crash here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceaodzw0sr0qeh8/PSP%20Crash.mp4?dl=0

I sent the above link and a support request to Photodex more than 20 days ago. I never got a reply. I sent the support request several times and never had a reply. So, I think the rumors are true: PSP is dead. It certainly is for me. I can't use it at all -- and there is no support.

Not sure what to do. I read some postings that talk about a new program that might be a replacement for PSP. I really need to be able to use my old files.

Never saw this coming.

AJ

Re: ProShow Producer: Not Working. No Support

Postby cherub » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:39 am

I don't think that ProShow "is broken".
If there are issues with your show, they have nothing to do with what happens with Photodex as a company. The program must continue working as before, and it does so, on everybody's else computer.
Moreover, you will probably face the same issues with this show, in the future program that will replace ProShow.

So, let's troubleshoot what happens on your computer.

Tell me, if you create a new show with just a few images, is the program stable? Can you publish your show?
To what format are you trying to publish your show? DVD or some video format?

The most frequent way to troubleshoot a problematic show is to delete the cache that sometimes gets corrupted. The cache will rebuild itself, when you try to open the show again.
To delete the cache of a show, you must delete the file that has the name of your show and the extension pxc . This file is found in the folder where you saved your show, and it is the largest of all the files. So, close the program and delete this file in Windows Explorer (File Manager).

Another frequent way to troubleshoot problems is to find the element that might be the cause of the crash. Most of the time this is the audio file. Try to delete it and see if the program still crashes.

Other possibilities:
When was the last time that you rebooted your computer?
How did you install the program? The recommendation is to disable all security programs during install.

Let us know if any of this helped.

Postby AAJ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 am

Cherub,

Thank you for your suggestions.

No, the malfunction is not related to "my show". The problem occurs with any show I load. I have also created new simple test shows and those also crash.

Can you publish your show? To what format are you trying to publish your show? DVD or some video format?

The problem is not related to any publish format. The crash occurs whenever I click on ANY of the top left "buttons" (see image)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rui9gnsjpa9wie5/Crash%20buttons.jpg?dl=0

Another frequent way to troubleshoot problems is to find the element that might be the cause of the crash. Most of the time this is the audio file. Try to delete it and see if the program still crashes.

There is no audio in the test files. Crashes still occur.

When was the last time that you rebooted your computer?
How did you install the program? The recommendation is to disable all security programs during install.

I've rebooted several times. It is not as if I experienced the crash and five minutes later I wrote my posting in this forum. The problem has been ongoing for several weeks.
I installed PSP years ago -- the latest version: months ago -- when it came out -- (all without disabling security programs) and never had problems until a few weeks ago.

The strange thing is that I can use the (see image) lower icons to publish and save, etc. Those buttons do not cause a crash like the upper ones do.

Also note: I have many programs installed and they all work fine: Photoshop, Lightroom, Autodesk 3DS Max, Magix Vegas Pro, Presonus Studio One, etc. No problems with any other program.

Thanks,

AJ

Postby Riekelt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 am

Hello AJ

I had exactly the same problem and also only reinstalled without suc6....
Only more important is how you uninstall the old program. In the register there remains too much register lines with the name proshow
on the computer even though the program has been deleted.

So what iI did;
The uninstallation of the program needs some attention in the register.

so
Uninstall Proshow, with the program REVO uninstaller and clean cache ( see tips Mona)

then;

reinstall the proshow 9.03797

and you wil have a clean first born Proshow on your computer......

Succes !

( sorry for my english, i am dutch)
Last edited by Riekelt on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
MAC OSX Photoshop / Lightroom
Foto CANON 80D

Postby cherub » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:16 pm

A clean install usually solves many computer problems.
But I'm a bit reluctant to tell people to enter the registry. Not everybody is comfortable with this.

There is a free program that does a good job at uninstalling programs and getting rid of registry leftovers:
https://www.revouninstaller.com/product ... ller-free/

You might give it a try.

Postby AAJ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Riekelt,

Thank you! I'm amazed and gratified to find someone else with the same problem. I am going to use your very well explained procedure and I will let you know if I am successful.

One question regarding the cache .pxc files: I have many of these. Do I need to delete all of them?

Thanks again!

AJ

Riekelt wrote:Hello AJ
I had exactly the same problem and also only reinstalled without suc6....
Only more important is how you uninstall the old program. In the register there remains too much register lines with the name proshow
on the computer even though the program has been deleted.

So what iI did;
The uninstallation of the program needs some attention.
I have deleted all the rest of the Proshow register lines, and there are more than you think,
before I reinstalled the latest version again. The problem was then resolved!!!
Fresh and clean Prohow 9.03797 !!!

if you want try ( only if you uinderstand what you are doing.....)

Uninstall Proshow, and clean cache ( see explanation Cherub)

then;

WIN button + R
type regedit + enter ( regedit starts )

type CTRL+F ( find starts )
type proshow + enter (computrer is searching in register for proshow )
press the delete button if its finds a register line with proshow in it
press F3 for the next line and go on untill it finds them all
So in this way you deleteted all the proshow lines the computer finds ( more than 10....)
if it is finished exit proram regedit

reinstall the proshow 9.03797

and you wil have a clean first born Proshow on your computer......

Suc6 !

( sorry for my english, i am dutch)

Postby AAJ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Mona,

Thank you for the excellent suggestion about the revouninstaller. I am comfortable editing the registry manually but I think this program will make things easier.

I will give this a try and report the results. I wonder if Photodex knew about this problem and the fix for it -- and couldn't be bothered to post in a FAQ or reply email to my support request.

Thank you,

AJ

cherub wrote:A clean install usually solves many computer problems.
But I'm a bit reluctant to tell people to enter the registry. Not everybody is comfortable with this.

There is a free program that does a good job at uninstalling programs and getting rid of registry leftovers:
https://www.revouninstaller.com/product ... ller-free/

You might give it a try.

Postby Riekelt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 pm

I think you are right Mona;

Not everybody is comfortable with this

I am not a computer nerd but I like to solve computerproblems myself.....

I became a bit to enthousiastic because I solved exactly the the same Proshow Producer problem :)

so follow the Mona tip:
"There is a free program that does a good job at uninstalling programs and getting rid of registry leftovers....

I tried the REVO uninstaller and it does a great job!

Greetings from Holland

PS : AJ, Because you completely re-install ( incl bought themes , transitions ) : YES delete all the .PXC files
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
Foto CANON 80D

Postby AAJ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Just reporting back:

Thank you Mona and Reikelt -- I used the REVO uninstaller and it worked well -- although it does ask many questions about which files should be deleted. I choose all of them.

ProShow Producer is working again. NO thanks to Photodex.

Thanks again,

AJ

Postby Riekelt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 am

Your welcome :)
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
Foto CANON 80D

Postby Donna77642 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Sorry, I did not mean to duplicate submit. I TOLD you I was challenged.
Last edited by Donna77642 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Donna77642 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi Riekelt,

I want to try your suggestion about the complete reinstall, but my issue is different--my Producer 5 will no longer exit--it just sits there. I would have posted this somewhere else, but could not find anything under exit issues so this discussion was my only option (at least I think so, I am a granny and a little challenged these days). My question, if I do a complete reinstall to fix my issue, will it accept my purchased licensed keys even though the company is closed? I was nervous about that.

Thank you (and MONA) so much for all the helpful posts you have put! I am sure everyone joins me in saying we were desperate and deeply appreciate your help. I am currently trying to do a funeral video presentation for my 92 year old mom, and this added stress has been excruciating.

I am worried that if I use control alt delete and close the program that way, then it will be surely corrupted even more when I open it again.... yipes, this could drive you to drink, but my mom deserves a good send off (she is still here so I have a little time...) Donna

Postby cherub » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Donna77642 wrote:Hi Riekelt,
I am worried that if I use control alt delete and close the program that way, then it will be surely corrupted even more when I open it again.... yipes, this could drive you to drink, but my mom deserves a good send off (she is still here so I have a little time...) Donna

Donna,
My condolences for your mom. I am truly sorry for your loss.
Ctrl + Alt + Delete will not corrupt the program. It will just stop it abruptly. If you have any unsaved show, it will be lost. That's all.

Postby Riekelt » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:25 am

Also My condolences for your mom Donna,

Making a slideshow can be a great way to process a life with all the memories in words and images, perhaps music.
Lots of creativity to make something beautiful out of it. You will succeed.
Let your heart speak and ProShow will do almost the rest.
Don't allow stress and take your time for it ( tip : keep it simple... pictures tell there own stories )
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
Foto CANON 80D

Esteemed Member

Postby Dieter » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:11 am

Hello Cherub,
hello Riekelt,
I wrote it in "Keyframe Editor" that I also have problems with PSP. I've also tried Revo and CClenaer and PSP reinstalled, but unfortunately no result. I've deleted everything Revo suggests
I don't know what to do anymore.
A new problem of today. In Publish-EXE the menu picture is blurred

Best regards Dieter

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion