Director and Creator going Subscription based

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Director and Creator going Subscription based

Postby bigsewed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 am

I am keeping an open mind...
Subscription based alone will not be my determining factor.
Need more information.

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:20 am

bigsewed wrote:I am keeping an open mind...
Subscription based alone will not be my determining factor.
Need more information.

+1
Some prognosticators are predicting that the declining camera market will eventually lead to subscription based photography software being the only survivors.

Postby plemmens » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 am

Doesn't matter how the new program looks like, nor how long the list of features is, if it's subscription only I will let it pass my door.

Postby fivedollar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Software subscription is not my cup of tea, that's why I stay away from PS. :)

Postby AllieB » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:45 am

I will for now not do any subscription and will remail with PSP 8 which IMO satisfying for my use.

Postby bobradarbob » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Sad actually. I had to drop Adobe back when they changed to Software as a Service model. I just don't agree with their approach but I'm sure that is of no concern to Adobe. The allure of a predictable cash stream over one-time bubble income is strong. The true PROFESSIONAL user can write off the cost and this is the preferred customer. The days of paying $250 one time with upgrades spaced out about 3-4 years are no more.

The upside - Any misstep by a company can lead to a financial pinch. Under the old model, once you paid your money you had to live with all the bugs until they got around to fixing them. If you pay by the month and find the quality to be less than agreeable, you can simply stop paying for the product. That gives the end-user some leverage in the relationship.

We shall see,
Bob

Postby Jeep » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi Bob

The problem with subscriptions is when you no longer pay, you no longer have access to the software. Imagine if Photodex had applied this method of purchase by subscription, it would be more than 18 months that you could not use ProShow anymore.

With Photodex you were sure to have one year of updating even when the version number changed.

I think these future products should be offered ALSO as direct sales otherwise many users of ProShow will turn to other software.
Jean-Pierre
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby ouzlewell » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Just found the subscription costs at https://photopia.nl/compare-products/

Director $24.95 / month - $249.95 / year

Creator $9.95 / month - $99.95 / year

Like many others, I'm not happy with having to pay a subscription, so will be sticking with Producer.

Postby bob walden » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Well, now that I see the prices it looks like I'll be sticking with 9. Way to big a jump to the equivalent of Producer from Gold. Other then 64 bit what advances over Producer 9 do you experts see?

Postby stranger2156 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 pm

The shortsighted pricing policy ... the offer is comparable to Ae and Ps.
They will die without even being born if there are no other offers for the price.
More acceptable to numerous fans of ProShow Producer.

Postby mrdcambs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:58 am

Hi: can someone clarify the subscription position please? If I subscribe for a year and decide that the version at the end of that year does everything
I require, am I able to carry on using that version if I unsubscribe, or do I have to continue subscribing just to use that version? If the latter is
the case, there is no way that a subscription has any attraction at all. If, on the other hand, they were to insist on say a minimum of a year's initial
subscription, at which point renewal is optional, that might have some appeal. If I subscribe to a magazine and then cease subscribing, I retain
the magazines I already have; surely this is the same for the new Director or Creator? Their website gives no details at all.

Regards - Mike - OK

Postby plemmens » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 am

I am an occasional non-professional user and once or twice a year I use PSP for my own private holiday slideshows.
I use it more as a hobbyist to "play" and experiment with and to see where it's limits are.
As such I am prepared to pay a one time fee to use it (or it's successor) but I am not even thinking about paying a subscription to fill what I call my playtime.
Over the years I bought PSG, PSP, 6 stylepacks, 1 effect and 1 transition pack, mostly to experiment with.

Postby Video1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:54 am

mrdcambs wrote:Hi: can someone clarify the subscription position please? If I subscribe for a year and decide that the version at the end of that year does everything I require, am I able to carry on using that version if I unsubscribe, or do I have to continue subscribing just to use that version?

As far as stopping your subscription goes, I'm pretty sure you could use it until the end of that month (or year, whichever subscription you chose), but after that you wouldn't be able to use it.

Postby mrdcambs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 am

"As far as stopping your subscription goes, I'm pretty sure you could use it until the end of that month (or year, whichever subscription you chose), but after that you wouldn't be able to use it".

If this is the correct position then a subscription is a definite non-starter for me. If I have subscribed, for a reasonable minimum period, but then decide that the software has reached the point where I require no further enhancements, I would expect to be able to unsubscribe but carry on using whatever version is in force at that point.
Mike - UK

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:27 am

With a couple of exceptions, all of the applications I use are subscription based. And in my situation the subscription costs are cheaper than purchasing when the applications were available in perpetual license form. But I can easily imagine for others the opposite would be true. Whether good or bad, I believe subscription applications are the future. One of my licensed applications is also offered on a subscription basis. I have every expectation that at some point the licensed version will no longer be available.

If Photodex had gone subscription based in order to generate sufficient cash flow for continued operation I would have paid it. While the Producer features I use in my productions can be duplicated in Premiere Pro using key frames, I am much more proficient in Producer. And time is my most valuable commodity. While Producer still runs on my machine the handwriting is on the wall that at some point it will no longer be a viable choice for what I do. If Director/Creator meet my needs I will certainly give them serious consideration.

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - General Discussion