Question for all that are not going to upgrade to Director

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Question for all that are not going to upgrade to Director

Postby Video1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Should we all be approaching the programmers of Director and Creator since they are the programmers of Proshow Producer and ask them to come out with a program patch for Proshow Producer so that it will activate without an internet connection if they ever take down the server or what ever is needed to currently activate it. Just saying it will be in place for now is not good enough for a program we paid for in full that does not expire and have a valid S/N. Just think about it if sometime in the future when you get a new computer or have to re-install Producer on your computer and it will not activate! What are you going to do? That is the least they can do for us who have been supporting them for over a decade of updating.

Valued Member

Re: Question for all that are not going to upgrade to Direct

Postby Dewcal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm

While the programmers of Director & Creator would probably have the technical knowledge to produce an "everlasting patch" I think it would be legally dubious to interfere with another companies programme.
Also, if PSP 7/8/9 last forever, what incentive would people have to buy D or C?

Postby folkroots » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:32 am

I don't know if this will work but i just did a clean install of windows 10 and installed my version of Producer and all my slide stlyle packs that i bought over the years. Now I am going to do do a system image backup. If the program malfunctions or breaks for any reason just restore the system image. I know this will not help on a new computer and it far from a perfect solution but at least its something to try.

Have a nice day!

Keith

Postby bob walden » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:40 am

Does it look like an image backup will work?

Postby heckydog » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:15 pm

The only issue I see there is it will restore everything as of the date when the image was originally made. You can't pick and choose what you want to restore from a cloned image.

So if you make the image today and you restore it a year from now, anything created during that time will be lost. Like emails, software updates, security updates, new software installs, and so on.

You would have to do image clones on a regular basis to stay as current as possible.

Postby bob walden » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:59 pm

That's what I was thinking. At this point I have PSP on two computers. So I have a bit of protection. But this is precisely why i dislike subscription service as a business mode.

Postby bob walden » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:03 pm

I have been looking at PTE more lately. Seems like a great company and very responsive. I used PTE many years ago and was very happy with it but not a fan of executable files. Guess my mine problem with PTE is it seems to aimed at photographers who like their photos to turn and spin and flip. I do mainly documentary shows and zoom in and out for details in old photos is all I really use.

Postby fivedollar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:38 pm

I also install one copy of PSP in a virtualbox (VM) Windows 10 image and backup the VM image. In case my PC or VM crash, I can restore the VM image or migrate my VM image to another PC to run.

By the way, do you have any advice to download ALL music files from the Music Library before Photodex website shut down?

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:47 am

Hi Bob,

I have been looking at PTE more lately. Seems like a great company and very responsive. I used PTE many years ago and was very happy with it but not a fan of executable files. Guess my mine problem with PTE is it seems to aimed at photographers who like their photos to turn and spin and flip. I do mainly documentary shows and zoom in and out for details in old photos is all I really use.

PTE AV Studio 10 Pro is a very nice replacement for the now-discontinued Producer. As you know it's a seasoned and well-thought-out product which is full 64 bit and easy to use with lots of great styles and themes for those who want to do animations, but it's also a rock-solid product for the photographer who just wants to do simple shows as you have described. It's especially attractive right now because they are offering a 30% discount until Christmas for users of Producer and Gold. Just use the promo code PRO30 to get the discount.

Best regards,

Lin

Postby bob walden » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:10 am

Hi Lin. I did dl the demo and have been working on it and comparing workflows. Guess I'll buy myself a Christmas gift. I am NOT going to go with a subscription program. Kind of forced to with Adobe but still not happy about it!

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:50 am

Hi Bob,

I've never been a fan of the subscription software either. I stopped with Photoshop at CS6 Extended. I realize that it seems to be the current trend, but I'm too old to change my ways - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

Postby Don Hammock » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi Lin,
I am late to take action, but I am now, out of necessity, finally looking for an Alternative to PSP. # 1 The copy I have is not functioning properly and when I bought it from photodex I downloaded it rather than have it on DVD. So, I can't try uninstall and reinstall to fix the problems since I don't trust copying the program to thumb drive, then reinstalling. # 2 I MAY have a fair amount of orders for videos for a Realtor and am a little hesitant to pursue it further until this issue is resolved.

With all that said, I need to know does PTE work as easy as PSP does with Voice Overs and background music ?

Thanks for the help,

Don

Postby Jeep » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:04 am

I switched to DaVinci Resolve which is free and which is much more efficient than any other editing software. This product has the advantage of processing the entire publishing chain : editing, titling, audio, color calibration and many features in real 3D. Its Fusion module can be compared to the functions of After Effects. On Internet we can find a lot of tutorials which show very interesting productions. It's widely used in the cinematographic industry.
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Don Hammock wrote:Hi Lin,
I am late to take action, but I am now, out of necessity, finally looking for an Alternative to PSP. # 1 The copy I have is not functioning properly and when I bought it from photodex I downloaded it rather than have it on DVD. So, I can't try uninstall and reinstall to fix the problems since I don't trust copying the program to thumb drive, then reinstalling. # 2 I MAY have a fair amount of orders for videos for a Realtor and am a little hesitant to pursue it further until this issue is resolved.

With all that said, I need to know does PTE work as easy as PSP does with Voice Overs and background music ?

Thanks for the help,

Don

Hi Don,
Yes, it's very easy to do any number of background music tracks and you can have voice-over for any slide as well as the ability to "lock" voice overs or background music to a single slide so that should you decide to move the slide, the voice-over or background track goes with your slide. It's an easy option.

There are a number of former Producer users now using PTE AV Studio 10 Pro and loving it.

Best regards,

Lin

Postby Don Hammock » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the input. I still have a MILLION questions and concerns,BUT, I am going to get it now before the Christmas Special is over.
Thanks again, will definitely be back to ask questions, AND- may you/your family/ and ALL the families here on the forum have a Very Blessed Christmas !

Felicem Diem Nativitatis,
Don

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion