SonicFire Pro Scoring edition

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

SonicFire Pro Scoring edition

Postby Magmatic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm

SmartSound has a free version of their software, ExpressTrack. And they have a paid version, Scoring Edition. With it, you can actually change the structure of a piece of music to fit the flow of a video production (or slideshow). For instance, you can use "spotting" to make the beats happen when you want them to.

When I do a slideshow, I usually make the show fit the music, not the other way around. I can see where being able to change music would be helpful (I certainly have had to edit music the hard way enough times to make it fit what I wanted.) But, it still seems kind of cumbersome. The music structure gives me something to go on.

Has anyone found scoring edition useful?
David Shuford

Re: SonicFire Pro Scoring edition

Postby Astra » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:03 pm

David,
I've been using SonicFire Pro for 2 years now - for every show I've made.

By my opinion - it is extremely flexible: length of music, how you could combine & "mesh" several melodies together, add extra sounds for effect, even take melody "apart" & create something new out of it.
... and ONE huge PLUS: everything you will create out of it - is ROYALTY FREE.
Here is the link: http://www.smartsound.com/index.html

However - (my opinion again) - there are several conditions:
...- you have to own quite a number of SmartSound "Albums" - (usually 10-15 melodies in one album & about 5-10 variations for each melody) - to find melody to fit your show.
...- have "good" ear to recognize, what fits and what not.
...- & also (probably - why & what works in my case) - some basic music theory education or musical background, in order to be able to use & utilize the software fully.

For illustration - it would take me about 10-20 minutes to pick, adjust & create several (usually different length of music) variations for simple 60-90 seconds show. (But: shorter the show - more work on music it needs.)

Astra/Alexandra

... and talking about using NOT Royalty-Free music - link to another thread discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19333 .... getting in lawsuit ...

Postby debngar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 pm

I like smart sound but only have the free version of their editing software. Haven't found the need for anything more than that really.

Keep an eye out on the website and you may catch some very good sales about twice a year. I picked up a few CDs for a very good price last year - (what I thought was reasonable at least) and have used enough selections to have made the purchases worth the money. They don't seem to be as many synthetic sounding pieces as some companies. Some other companies seem to have a lot of synthetic music that a sounds like it comes from 10-30+ years ago. Maybe ok for some application but not what I'm looking for most of the time.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby AMD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:19 pm

I have 2 dozen SoniFire albums that I have accumulated over the past couple of years and am pleased with them. I have purchased most when they had a good sale. It is nice to be able to vary the length and the fact that you can find similar sounds when using several tracks in a show is also a nice feature. I also haven't felt the need to purchase the Scoring Edition. I also like JewelBeat . . . and their prices per track are exceptionally good also. I think their music is much better than most other royalty-free tracks that I can afford, too. It is rather neat that one can download a track of pretty good royalty-free music for $.99.

Ann

Postby debngar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:42 pm

AMD wrote:-snip-

I also like JewelBeat . . . and their prices per track are exceptionally good also. I think their music is much better than most other royalty-free tracks that I can afford, too. It is rather neat that one can download a track of pretty good royalty-free music for $.99.

Ann

Hi Ann,

The JewelBeat site seems to be an good deal with generous Terms Of Use. They allow for commercial use online for the .99 price. Thanks for sharing that company name.
Terms of Use:
http://www.jewelbeat.com/static/license.php
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Magmatic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm just now discovering the answers to my initial question. Thanks to all. I don't want to get into Scoring Edition just yet--more complexity! I expect I'll be buying more SmartSound albums. Thanks for the JewelBeat tip, too!
David Shuford

Return to Music Discussion