Sticky slide numbers

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Sticky slide numbers

Postby bbq_dad » Sat May 16, 2015 11:41 am

I use macros to number slides. When you move the slides the program renumbers all slides.

Is there a way to create another layer and use the numbering of slide, but have slides numbers stay fixed?

Have a large number of slides someone wants to adjust the order. Trying to keep track of the number they originally gave me is a nightmare when there is a large number of changes. I normally work from the back to front, but even
this doesn't always work.

Wanted to see if anyone knows of some other way to make the slide numbers be "sticky", but then revert back to what proshow does now to renumber them.

Re: Sticky slide numbers

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 16, 2015 1:45 pm

I think having the numbers "sticky" would be a nightmare - trying to remember which were real and which were "fake" would be an issue for me anyway. Another option is to use the macro feature to put the file name on the slide - that will go with the image and make more sense. If you turn it on as a global macro, then it is easy to turn off for the final show.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 17, 2015 4:52 am

I don't quite understand what you're doing, so this answer might not apply well, but the first thing that came to my mind was to add a caption that's a number in one corner of the slide. In this way, no matter where you place the slide, it'll have the same number, which could be deleted when all work is done. Again, I'm not envisioning what you're doing, so if I'm all wet, feel free to totally ignore me. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby bbq_dad » Sun May 17, 2015 9:16 am

Alas, it appears I was not clear in my question.

I normally request my customers bring me in their images in the order they would like (normally chronological). But sometimes they don't after I have suggested it. When they get their 1st proof and now see the images in the order (or non-order or random) they requests I move images around.

I've been using the macro command the past few years and number the images so they can tell me what images they want moved. So let's say
there is 100 images and the customer has indicated say 50 they want next to some other image. Could be more towards the beginning or towards the end.

When they have images they decided they don't want and/or images they want to move, it becomes very difficult to follow an email they have sent me with the changes. I start at the rear (image 100 in this example) and work towards the beginning. But if they have had
deletions, or have moved images forward or backwards, well that Proshow renumbers the images now makes the task of rearranging difficult. Now do I want, once I am done, to have Proshow renumber the images as it does now? Yes. But while making these changes I would like to have the slide number stay static and not change.

Now I have gone in and put a text layer with the number of the current slide the macro is showing to make a 'Sticky' note. But if you have a lot of changes is takes a while. And then at the end, I have to go back and delete that "sticky" text label from view.

So just as there is a macro that allows Proshow to automatically resequence your slide numbers, is there a way to create what the slide number is, on a separate layer, that does not get updated but can then be deleted once moves are made. Ideally be able to delelet all of this sticky layers on each slide, much like we can do now by deleting the macro command (I use the macro command /p).

How would all of you do this effieciently (other than telling the customer do it right the first time!). Same issue happens with folk's digital images. As they move their media from one source to another, the date the image was taken is many times is not longer correct on the thumbdrive they bring me and once I bring this into Proshow its usually not in the order they wanted (especially if different cameras were used through the years.

Hope this clarifies the challenge I am looking for the folks on this forum to help with. I have to believe anyone who does these for others have these same issues pop up, so again how do you handle this?? Obviously, another way is to have the customer come in and help "rearrange" these images. Another way is to create an exe file and have it and Producer open at the same time. I can use exe as my reference as I make changes-kinda works but not ideal.

I've been a member on this site for 4 or 5 years. Use to be Time_Traveler, but darn if I can remember sign in names and passwords for the zillion sites many of log into anymore. So I had the admin reset my info.

But my point is there is about a dozen folks who regularly respond to users questions through the years. Others questions have sometimes also been questions I was pondering about. So to those who do help others on this forum-Thank You :) . Many of you who do have products that work with Proshow and I have had an opportunity to order them to offer "new looks" for my customers. I appreciate your help with question I've had through the years and the creative ideas you have when you offer new ways to make a slide "stand out".

Was the time_traveler, now BBQ_Dad

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 17, 2015 9:34 am

It turns out I did have the gist of your dilemma, so I just now sat back, trying to figure out how I'd do it, and I came up with very little. One thing that did come to mind, however, is that I'd grab one of those utilities with which I could tack numerical prefixes onto the file names, using a system that begins with 100 and counts up from there. (I use one called Bulk Rename.) Doing this would ensure that the photos were in the appropriate order in the file list. After that? You have my complete sympathy!

Barbara

Postby bbq_dad » Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 am

Ok, no other responses leaves me going back to Barbara's comment.

I am familiar and have used the file renaming software you mentioned. I see I could use it to rename the images, overriding the file name given by their cameras or by my scanner. I could then use the other Macro that lets you put the file name on the slide and this becomes my "sticky file" name that stays static while I move images around. I then delete that macro and then use the other macro that tells you what slide number each slide is as a reference back to the customer for any changes for the 2nd Proof.

When the Collect Show Files option is selected, does it put your images used, in the order they are on the timeline? Would need Proshow to do that and not keep the original order if I made a few manual changes before renaming all of the files using the rename utility.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 am

bbq_dad wrote:When the Collect Show Files option is selected, does it put your images used, in the order they are on the timeline? Would need Proshow to do that and not keep the original order if I made a few manual changes before renaming all of the files using the rename utility.

The collection process adds all pictures used to an "image" folder, and they're in Windows' order. In other words, they'll be in alphabetical order by default.

Barbara

Postby bbq_dad » Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am

Darn

Thought we might of had a solution, but that doesn't allow the workflow that is needed.

Postby bob2701 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:54 am

Not sure if this will help but I had the same situation last week. I had 500 pictures which needed to be in order so I had the client give them to me numbered "0001" - "0500". Then I printed a contact sheet of all the pictures to use as a reference. Any deletions were just Xed off the list and any additions were marked with the same number they were to follow with "a" added. This also kept them in order when collected. I then checked off each picture on the list when viewing the show.

I'm new to Producer so just learning different ways to do things. Hope this helps.

Bob

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks