Photoshop Actions

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

Photoshop Actions

Postby Roo57 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:30 pm

This site has some cool actions, some free and some you pay for.
http://www.panosfx.com/

A couple that you have to buy will work well in your processing of images in Photoshop for PSG shows.
(He also has Elemets actions)

I use a few of the freebies, but also bought 'the cube' and the 'film frame' actions.

Here's another one I love that does a 'box':
http://www.thedom.fr/share/dload.php?ac ... ile_id=262

Here's an example of a few 'boxes' I have made with my images and this action:

Re: Photoshop Actions

Postby Lenora » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:12 pm

What Photoshop program is used on this forum. I see some that are over $500 and then there is photoshop elements that is real cheap (probably not the right one) I uave Paint Shop Pro and I am wondering if I can do some of those things in that program

Valued Member

Postby Roo57 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:50 pm

I use Photoshop CS3. (Haven't upgraded to CS4 yet) I've been using Photoshop since version 5.

Elements is a decent program and some people that create actions also create them for Elelments, but a lot of actions do not work in Elelments.

You cannot use actions in Paint Shop Pro.

However you can use 'plugins' with Paint Shop Pro and Elements as well. Plugins and Actions are different.

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:59 pm

I finally bit the bullet and bought the full-up Photoshop CS2 a couple of years back. Definitely a case of you get what you pay for -- now if I can just figure out how to do everything (I am learning though - I have a number of the "Total Training" DVD's and they're fairly good. It can do everything .. all you have to do is figure it out :shock:
Think of "Actions" as macros. You can record the series of steps then make that an action that you can use over and over again (or get actions from lots of places on the internet to do lots of clever things). Don't forget that along with "Actions", Photoshop also supports scripting in either VBA (on the windows side) or JavaScript (both Mac and Windows) - not exactly for the "faint of heart", but it is a very powerful way of automating some very complex things.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby nannybear » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:55 pm

CS3 Extended and I adore Photoshop now that I know what to do with it!!!LOL thanks to members on this forum and Digital Juice and of course the web....lots of tuts out there if you Google! cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Soahs

Postby Soahs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Paint Shop Pro may not be able to run actions but it most certainly can run scripts. Paint Shop Pro uses the Pylon language - or is that Python. Anyway, you can record a script then edit it. Very similar to the actions of Photoshop.
Jane

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 pm

Photoshop CS3 is the be-all, end-all of programs in my life. Though I've been using it for around 10 years, I'm still learning new things in it. As for Actions, my life depends on them. As for scripts, Mikey, I'm technologically impaired, so it's up to you to learn how and then teach me. 8)

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Well, I have been studying actions, however, it seems that whatever I want to do (and sounds like a neat thing for an action) involves some sort of interaction and at least one step seems to be "you can't get there from here", more studying is required at Lynda.com - I'll get it figured out :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:18 pm

If you get stuck with some step in an action, Mikey, email me. In payment, you have to learn how to do scripts. (Nag mode.)

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Not all PS functions can be done with an action. That's why you have the stop and message option, so you can enter necessary data and then continue the action.

Actions can really show their worth when you combine them with the Batch option. I had 850 photos I needed to re-size. Writing the action was pretty straight forward. But it would have still taken a lot of my time to run it 850 times. So I used the Batch option to automate the action. I was able to start it and then go off and do other things for about 45 minutes while PS did the grunt work. Very cool!

Scripts, I don't understand them either :D The only ones I ever use are for converting layers to files. The one that comes with PS CS3 converts to the most popular formats except PNG and I have a separate script that does PNG files. Other than that, I would google for anything else I might be in need of.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:34 am

Joe, the one thing I can't seem to figure out happens with an action I have for saving JPEGs using Save for Web instead of the standard JPEG save. With the latter, you can override the file path that may be in the action, thus allowing for a save to the folder where the PSD files are sitting. With Save for Web, no matter what I do, it insists on saving to the folder named in the action, which is necessarily there because of how Save for Web works. Do you, by any chance, know how to get around this?

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:05 am

Off hand I don't know. I've only used Save for Web for an occasional gif file.

If you have a bunch of these files have you tried using the Batch option? That does give you choices for the source and destination folders.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 pm

That's where the problem is--in the batch operation. It works fine for the regular kind of JPEG, but when using Save for Web, it saves the whole batch to whatever folder was used when creating the action. I finally stopped trying to get it to work the way I wanted and created a folder dedicated to the saving of batched files. It works, of course, but it annoys me.

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:09 pm

If you use "Save As" in your action and then check the box "Override Action Save As Commands" you should be able to select any folder for your destination.....................I think :roll:

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Exactly as I thought too, but the darned thing doesn't work with Save for Web. There has to be a way, and periodically I tinker with it to no avail. Very irritating.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications