transitions

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

transitions

Postby tanderson83162 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 am

i want to learn to make my own transitions anyone that can help , would appreciate
teresa anderson

Re: transitions

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 am

Hi,

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.
Did you see some transition effect somewhere and you want to make something similar?

Postby im42n8 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:33 am

With 4.1 and earlier, the only way to make any kind of transition is to create a style (for 3.x and earlier, which don't have styles, you'll want to create a template or re-usable slide) that does what you want. For instance, I created a roll roll up style where I had a "bar" come out of the side of the screen, the current image would then move off screen toward where the bar came out of the screen, and a reversed image would scroll through the bar (to look like the backside of the image). I gave the transition the appearance that the current image was being rollup off the screen. (I did this back in the v3.x days). All it is is a way to transition from one image to the next.

So, just create an effect for your slide and then convert it to a style and you have your transition! It's limited only by your imagination.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 am

A transition cannot be made and added to the library of transitions supplied by Photodex. Transitions can only be added as Dale has described above.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby tanderson83162 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:07 am

sorry i didn't mean to ask twice, but what i was really meaning was like the digital juice swipes, i would be interested in buying but can't find on website anymore, so i was wondering if i could create that effect and if i could does anyone know how
thanks
teresa anderson

Postby im42n8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:59 am

I've created a few additional transitions type styles that are available on my site. Maybe they'll give you some ideas. If not by looking at them and figuring out how I did them then by buying them and studying what I did.

DJ is no longer offering their swipes (bummer because they were great!). If you're good at making certain types of videos, and you can handle a video editor that will let you extract the alpha channel as a separate movie, then you too can make a wipe (DJ's swipes were Sound Wipes, a sound that occurred as the screen wipe occurred)!

A number of the effects I have work effectively as a transition . . . transitioning from one image to the next in an interesting fashion that doesn't distract from the images themselves. They might give you some ideas you could use.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Are there any video tutorials available by anyone here, on how to create these effects that you speak of? Proshow Producer has the most boring transitions of any program I have ever used and I have used many. The idea behind that is that they encourage people to make their own and I get that. I don't know how and I could use a video tutorial to teach me step by step how to do these effects. I am also interested in learning how to use masks in proshow producer. I have spent the last year searching the internet in vain for these type of tutorials. I see alot of show-off videos on youtube but nothing that actually teaches a person how to do creative effects with this program with the exception of a handful from ChoiceBackgrounds and Gavin Houey. Can someone point me in the right direction as I would very much like to learn.

Postby Astra » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:44 pm

To Nena902:

Nena902 wrote:Are there any video tutorials available by anyone here, on how to create these effects that you speak of? Proshow Producer has the most boring transitions of any program I have ever used and I have used many. The idea behind that is that they encourage people to make their own and I get that. I don't know how and I could use a video tutorial to teach me step by step how to do these effects. I am also interested in learning how to use masks in proshow producer. I have spent the last year searching the internet in vain for these type of tutorials. I see alot of show-off videos on youtube but nothing that actually teaches a person how to do creative effects with this program with the exception of a handful from ChoiceBackgrounds and Gavin Houey. Can someone point me in the right direction as I would very much like to learn.

There are quite a few Video DVD Tutorials On Photodex Website for both items, you are interested in:
http://www.photodex.com/products/workshop

Alexandra

Postby im42n8 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Working with masks in Producer is not a big deal. Start small and work from there. A mask can be as simple as a small square layer in the middle of an image. Create a layer, size it smaller than the full screen, put an image layer below it and make the PSP layer a mask. Try grayscale and then alpha. It helps to understand what a mask does. Check out my basic (somewhat comprehensive) tutorial on masks (and other approaches to using masks here:

http://fenimorephotovideos.com/PSP/

You should see four different tutorials for masks in PSP.

Good luck!

Dale

Postby debngar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Nena902 wrote:-snip- I don't know how and I could use a video tutorial to teach me step by step how to do these effects. I am also interested in learning how to use masks in proshow producer. -snip-.

It takes a while to get the hang of how to do some of this stuff. Some effects are more difficult and complex than others. Not sure what kind of skills you bring to the table already but key framing and masking are essential for anything intermediate and advanced. It would be good to have a familiarity with the basics first, then pick up masking and key-framing to make smaller layered slides before diving into creating more complex layered effects and styles.

There are quite a few tutorials listed in the forum in this very section - 3 pages in fact. Take a look from page 3 going forward - there are some on masking that should help.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 am

I just found this and I wanted to thank everyone who was so kind to reply. Dale-I finally understand the basic concept of maskings, and have to say you are a great teacher! I will get to the Photodex tutorials sometimes later on today. My skills on Proshow Producer are intermediate for the person above who was wondering about what I am brining to the table. I have had this software for over a year now and making slideshows for over 9 years using other softwares so I am not a stranger to slideshows, but I have reached a learning plateau on Producer. I have been animating with keyframes for several months now, using motions and creating my own "styles" such as a ferris wheel style that involves 4 photos rotating around the screen simultaneously like the hands of a clock, and other styles, but have not even ventured to play around with masks as yet. I am also not feeling comfortable with using templates made by other people, I would much rather create my own. Thanks to some people here, I was able to find a way to save my creations not as templates but as little video clips (.avi) and for that I am grateful.
I received some rather caustic remarks on another thread when I was giving my opinion about some of the shortfallings of Photodex, and rather than discourage me, it incited me enough that it just pushed me to learn more. I won't be intimidated by a software, so I have to express my gratitude here for that!
I would love to learn how to do Dale's rollup transition and also Pat's reveal of a long stemmed rose, appearing out of nowhere a little at a time and the sliding into a vase and then roses blooming from that. See her family album Denault family for example. Thanks so much everyone!!!!!

Postby im42n8 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 am

Nena,

We all reach plateaus. Then, something comes along that gives us that extra push. The thing about creating an effect or style or transition is imagination, perseverance, and some skill at making the idea happen. I wasn't satisfied with what Photodex supplied as their transitions long ago and started creating my own effects. I would copy from previous shows when I needed the effect in a new show. When styles were offered, I converted a number of those to styles.

With the release of Producer 4.5, some of my styles became transitions too, including new transitions that don't have a style counterpart. The thing about it is inspiration (which can come from just about anywhere) and time and imagination. When I did the roll up/roll down effect, it was through some sort of inspiration (tho what it was I can't recall now). But one thing led to another and that let me create the initial page curl effect (which is complicated and requires visualization as to what's going on, when). One thing led to another.

With each plateau or point where we're no longer inventive (or whatever), in time, something happens and another idea or two comes to mind and then, one thing leads to another and your off and running again!

You really do need to master masks (along with keyframes) to make most effective use of Producer. Nice effects that highlight or help to show off your images greatly help your slideshows. Your customers (if you have them) will also very much appreciate it too!.

Enjoy!

Dale

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:26 am

Dale, thanks for inspiring me! And you are right, every time I do another slideshow, something new comes to me and I push the outside of the envelope a bit further every time. I have to admit that since I have been on this board, I have gotten alot of ideas. I love the digital scrapbooking that Pat does. I also love some of the special effects that I have seen. Watching the slideshows that are in the sharing section helps alot especially as a guideline of keeping my slideshows interesting yet not overwhelming. From watching other's slideshows, I have learned that too much of something is just as bad as not enough of something. Anyway, I am really grateful to those that have helped me iron out problems, those that have inspired me and even those who have pushed my buttons enough to incite me to learn more. Always turning lemons into lemonade, that's me! :D

Re: transitions Tut

Postby texan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 am

Here's a transition creation tutorial, by the one and only VidQueen:

Enjoy

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16493
Texan

Postby gpvideodesigns » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:18 am

texan. I've been trying to work with that tutorial you posted by Choice Backgrounds. Problem for me is that it's for Producer 4.5 and I have 5.0. On her website she says same concepts for both, but I'm not finding that. Totally different screens and when I follow this one, it doesn't work at all like it does in the video. Does anyone make a tutorial video for 5.0 on how to make transitions? Thanks

Next

Return to PSP - Tutorials