TUTORIAL: Working w/Rotate Center-Part 1 (BASICS)

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

TUTORIAL: Working w/Rotate Center-Part 1 (BASICS)

Postby im42n8 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 pm

SLIDING PANELS - PART 1 (The Basics)

This is a tutorial that teaches you how to tilt a set of layers as one unit and then move them while maintaining the perspective they obtained while tilted. That is, as a layer moves away from it's rotation enter, it automatically gets larger or smaller. While the location on the screen on which the panels tilt, the panels themselves vary their rotation center.

I position 4 layers adjacent to each other, chose a rotation point that they each share, tilt them as one unit, and then move the layers such that they swap positions ... all while maintaining the correct perspective according to their position relative to the rotation center location. Knowing how this is done might give you some ideas on how to use rotation center changes differently ...

Enjoy and have fun! :D

The version with built-in menuing can be found here (html5-based): http://fpvp.wordpress.com/tutorials/

Dale

PS The FPVP Tools that were used to create this effect are now available. They make the process of creating such effects MUCH easier (since they do the necessary calculations for you). Check here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22915 or here: FPVP Tools (Basic)
Last edited by im42n8 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: Tutorial: Sliding Panels-Part 1 (Basics)

Postby jsd » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 am

Great tutorial, Dave.
Thanks

Postby im42n8 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:13 am

Thanx JSD!

Hopefully gives people some ideas about what they can do or what's possible...

8) Plus, I answer to just about anything ... :D

Enjoy!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby cherub » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks for the tip for the 20.1 zoom.
It makes all the difference !
:D

Postby im42n8 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 am

Yeah Mona, the one thing that gets those using exact size layers is that pesky partially transparent pixel thingy. It's not all that often that we get layers that, with size changes, are an exact multiple of 8. So, we see the result as a thin line at the abutment / juncture of two layers ... and wonder, "where the heck did that come from?" So, this "trick" should alleviate the problem in most situations. No need to slightly change the position to create an overlap (which can cause problems all by itself)...

Thanx for watching! :D

Dale

Postby Oldguy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:29 am

WOW!!! Clever, too deep for me to understand. But I can follow
your instructions.
Clever

Forrest

Postby im42n8 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 am

Thanx Forrest. You just never know what will give you an idea to follow up on. Inspiration comes from the most unlikely of places some times... and sometimes it's the end result of a series of seemingly unrelated things.

More coming! (I just need to find the time ... it's in short supply at this time of the season -- Taxes!).

Dale

Esteemed Member

Re: TUTORIAL: Working w/Rotation Center-Part 1 (Basics)

Postby quetzal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:06 am

Hi Dale,
Thank you for sharing your experience and giving up all the specs for the sliding panels the basic. We think that the members of Jeeep Forum in Britany (France) are giving a better look to your tuturials as so far. In fact, rotation center is not as easy as can be. Now, we begin the same sliding panels but with image. :D Have a nice day. quetzal

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am

Photodex implemented the rotation center change with the idea of simply allowing the user a way to rotate a layer on other than the layer center (v3.2 and earlier could only rotate a layer on the layer center). Following their idea that "simplicity" is best ... Photodex never dreamed that anyone would ever want to rotate a layer at some point on the screen than a layer's corner or side. So, they only implemented the simplest of tools: change the rotation center (a layer-based feature). As such, they effectively crippled the effect. A better option would have been to provide both the layer-based AND screen-based options for choosing a point on which to rotate a layer. The devil is in the details I guess and they didn't want to go there. But, that option would have allowed us to use the feature more fully.

As it is now, one needs to know that the values of pan, rotation center, and zoom are related ... and to know how they relate to each other. For most people, that's simply NOT going to happen. They only want to use the program, not dig into its quirks and such. I had a bit too much free time, I guess and I figured it all out. The math turns out to be rather simple. The hardest part was visualizing what was going on ... and understanding the relationships between the functions. A calculator helps an awful lot. But, putting the calculations into a spreadsheet makes things even easier.

The program has everything it needs, however... except for the screen-based rotation center value. I know that wouldn't solve all of the problems associated with using the rotation center changes, but it would greatly improve upon its current use. I've put in a feature request to Photodex . . . but, I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll be implemented anytime soon. Features that we request seem to have a way of taking years to get implemented ... in the name of trying to avoid feature bloat and making the program less easy to use for the sheer novice (the proficient through to the ProShow Masters are completely ignored).

Understanding how to effectively use rotation center helps you make more effective use of the program itself. My tutorials help that along since they explicitly show how to use rotation center and why it works as it does.

Yes, I've noticed that interest in figuring out how to use rotation center is very limited here, compared to the 2 Russian sites that I know of and Jeep's site. However, that pretty much extends to all of the ProShow features. Once the feature for user created styles and transitions was introduced, it seemed that people kind of lost interest in figuring out how to make the most of the program. However, there seems to be a recent (though slight) uptick in people wanting to figure out how ProShow does what it does ... and that's encouraging.

Dale

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 am

Hi Dale,

All has been said. quetzal :)

Return to PSP - Tutorials