Stuck lenshood

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

Stuck lenshood

Postby proullard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:09 pm

I have a Canon 28-135 zoom lens. I was reversing the lenshood to store the lens in my camera bag and was a little hasty. I managed to jam the thing on to the lens so that it is cockeyed. The hood has small narrow openings that match narrow lip-notches on the lens that hold the hood tight on to the lens. The lip and the notch are mismatched now so that the lip-notch is on and off at the same time, if you know what I mean.
Any ideas as to how to get his dang thing off?

Re: Stuck lenshood

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm

The one for my 70-300 is touchy too - hard to get it on level as it should be without messing it up. I can't say for sure what the best answer to your problem is except that a few times I've accidentally bumped the hood to the point that it's fallen off - even on my 24-70! But I'm fairly sure that was when I had it screwed on the right way, whether it was reversed or not, I don't remember. It may have happened both ways. :roll: Both hoods still work as they should and have not broken.

Did you try to unscrew it even though it's lopsided? :roll: I don't have a 28-135 so I'm unfamiliar with that lens and hood.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Re: Stuck lenshood

Postby proullard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi Debbie,

The hood I have has three indentations on the inner side of the hood that correspond to the three notches on the end of the lens itself. You take the hood, match up the slots and then twist it so it stays on. What happened is I somehow put it on wrong so that one of the slots mismatched so that it is half on and half off. I have tried a blow dryer on the hood to no avail. I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow or next week. I can't use any filters and the lens cap will pop off because of the lens hood.

phil

Return to Photography