the dark side of the kitchen

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Gold and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

the dark side of the kitchen

Postby rob_marshall » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:44 am

This is a compilation some of my better kitchen shots over the past two years. My intention was to create an edgy and tense piece (I'm that sort of guy :roll: ), and I think the music is quite suited to that mood. I only mention that in case you think it's all very depressing, gloomy, and menacing... which is of course, it's meant to be :D

Your views would be most appreciated.

Re: the dark side of the kitchen

Postby osharr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 am

Nice show Rob , liked your photography and your sense of humor . The music was nice also .
Ollie
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 am

I like it !! Not normally into "dark" shows, this one was very good (and I liked the use of B/W - really helped the image along). One of those "just waiting to be made" shows :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 am

I enjoyed your show, so different. Love the B\W photos and well taken.

Glyn

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 am

Great stuff Rob! Love the images and presentation, and really, I didn't find it overly dark or depressing. If you want to take it to that level for the few of us who are ready for it, hit us with something like Morte Macabre or Univers Zero :lol:
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby rob_marshall » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

Mac wrote:Great stuff Rob! Love the images and presentation, and really, I didn't find it overly dark or depressing. If you want to take it to that level for the few of us who are ready for it, hit us with something like Morte Macabre or Univers Zero :lol:

Thanks, Mac. If you really want the dark stuff you could try Andrzej Dragan's site http://andrzejdragan.com/ :D

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Liked it and well put together. Would have prefered it a little slower.
regards.
pd

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm

rob_marshall wrote:If you really want the dark stuff you could try Andrzej Dragan's site http://andrzejdragan.com/ :D

I love the quote on the entry page! :lol:
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby debngar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm

I liked it too! I would have a hard time thinking of so many clever names for the images. I might be able to come up with a few but not likely as many good ones as you did. I'm still trying to train my eye to better "see" in black and white and more easily recognize negative space in a scene or image.

Nice presentation and glad you shared your show. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby SueB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Your show was so good and really imaginative. I loved it.
Sue

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Lavina Molnar » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Oh yes, very different. Black and white well suited your creative shots and the music track gave a great atmospheric feel. Most enjoyable.

Lavina
Vision + Strong Desire + Knowledge + Imagination + Persistence = Success

Esteemed Member

Postby Aida » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:20 pm

rob_marshall wrote: My intention was to create an edgy and tense piece (I'm that sort of guy :roll: ), and I think the music is quite suited to that mood. I only mention that in case you think it's all very depressing, gloomy, and menacing... which is of course, it's meant to be :D

Really enjoyed your show. Quirky, original, creative, imaginative -- with a film noir quality to it, only possible to achieve with black & white photos. Your choice of K. MacLeod's "Aftermath" as the soundtrack was just perfect IMO.

Oh, I know all about the dark side of the kitchen: the knife, the grater, the vegetable peeler, the corkscrew. the wire whisks, you name it . . . They look so innocent, so harmless, so eager to help. However, they do have an underlying mean streak & a dark side [but then don't we all? :? ]. I once almost chopped off a finger with a knife - klutz that I am in the kitchen. Ever since, I've been always aware of their unpredictable dark side. And I sometimes wonder how they behave after I store them in the kitchen drawers & turn off the lights at the end of the day after cooking dinner & cleaning up . . .

Thanks for posting this entertaining Dark Side of the Kitchen.
-aida
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
carry it with us or we find it not." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby rob_marshall » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am

debngar wrote:I would have a hard time thinking of so many clever names for the images. I might be able to come up with a few but not likely as many good ones as you did.

Thank you for the comments, Debbie. I always think that image titles important - they help to create an atmosphere for images. I know viewers can mostly work it out for themselves, but I find it helps to set a context. After all, that's what advertising is all about :D

debngar wrote:I'm still trying to train my eye to better "see" in black and white and more easily recognize negative space in a scene or image.

I find BW much easier than colour. I tend to be a BW person in temperament and opinion, so maybe that helps my photography. If you shoot in RAW mode, it's helpful to switch the camera to BW mode if you are interested in BW shots. That way you can see in the viewfinder roughly how the shots look in BW, but being RAW files they will download in colour anyway, and if you liked them as BW previews you can convert them.

Postby rob_marshall » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

Aida wrote:I once almost chopped off a finger with a knife - klutz that I am in the kitchen. Ever since, I've been always aware of their unpredictable dark side.

Glad to hear you still have all your digits! one of these modern knives have incredibly sharp edges. I have just borrowed a kitchen grater from a manufacturer that has an acid-sharpened edge. I was warned about how sharp it is. :shock:

Aida wrote:And I sometimes wonder how they behave after I store them in the kitchen drawers & turn off the lights at the end of the day after cooking dinner & cleaning up . . .

I always keep items of the same genre in separate drawers - to avoid a local scandal :roll:

Esteemed Member

Postby chezeury » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:31 am

I love your photography! Gorgeous shots. Perfect composition; really bold and strong, and really great black and white with tones from pure white to pure black and everything in between.
Music was cool, could have been even darker, I think, but suited the photographs really nicely. As mentioned earlier, even your titles are great!

You are one very talented dude!

Do you have a website? I'd love to see more of your art. OOPS! just saw that you posted it.. heh! Looks like I could use some coffee :mrgreen:
:-)
Maggie
To see my slideshows visit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chezeury
my photography can be seen at:
http://www.maggieterlecki.com

Next

Return to PSG - Sample Shows & Feedback