Difficulties with EXIF captions and template

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Difficulties with EXIF captions and template

Postby JeffK » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello

I am trialing ProShow Gold and am closer to purchase.

However I have two issues I would like some help with.

I am trying to display the contents of the EXIF Image Description field on each of the slides in a slide show. Sometimes when I try to add a caption using an EXIF macro sometimes the macro list appears and sometimes it doesn't, the list is just blank. This is with the same photo files so I know there is data there as sometimes I can display the macro list and at other times I can't. In other words it appears to be an intermittent bug.

When the caption does display on a slide sometimes it appears normally so that I can adjust the size of the caption frame. At other times the caption frame is so small it is not possible to grab a frame handle with the mouse to enlarge it. Adjusting the size using the related drop down doesn't seem to work either.

Do any forum members experience with these apparent bugs?

I am running windows 10 and a high resolution screen. ProShow Gold 7.0.3527

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Jeff (from downunder)

Re: Difficulties with EXIF captions and template

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't remember hearing of that issue before. What steps exactly are you using to create the problem? I am familiar with the regular macros, but not one to show the EXIF field you describe? I would suggest sending Photodex support an email (unlike lots of places these days, they actually respond quite promptly). You might include a screenshot of the issue as well. See what they have to say.

OK, I see what you are doing (I was experimenting with an image that did not have any EXIF data - and mine don't have any image description fields identified). I suspect that what you may be running into is related to the size (dimensions) of the slide you are working on - I have run into something similar in Photoshop where setting the DPI wrong will bite you - it should not affect things, but what it does affect is the size of any text you add to the image ... took a bit to figure out what was doing that.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 am

gpsmikey wrote: . . . . . . .

- I have run into something similar in Photoshop where setting the DPI wrong will bite you - it should not affect things, but what it does affect is the size of any text you add to the image ... took a bit to figure out what was doing that.

mikey

Hi Mikey,
You have a fine understanding of technical matters and always come up with great answers. Here is a question for you.
DPI only concerns printers. Why should it affect things?

Thanks and sincere regards.
pd
regards.
pd

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes, I realize that is the claim, however, what I found was that depending on the "dpi" of the image, it affected the size of the text when added. It seems the (it has been a while since I found this) "points" of the text are related to the calculations for the display and involve the "dpi" setting for the image.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby JeffK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 pm

OK the answer to my issue turned out to be this.

Exif captions only apply to the first ie top layer. If ProShow automatically creates a slide show and then one tries to add captions to a layer that is not the image then the exif macro options will not show. That is what was happeneing to me.

Similarly a resizable caption must also be on the image layer and not on some other layer.

Given that ProShow includes the ability to create a slideshow "automatically" and may well produce top layers that are not image layers on one or more of the hundreds of photos which may make up a show, one would have to go through them all to make sure the captions are only applied to top image layers I consider these issues are design flaws. If I had not found out what the problem was I may well have decided not to purchase on the basis that the program was flawed.

Jeff

Postby JeffK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Sorry, I should also say thank you to each of you for responding to my post.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:47 am

gpsmikey wrote:Yes, I realize that is the claim, however, what I found was that depending on the "dpi" of the image, it affected the size of the text when added. It seems the (it has been a while since I found this) "points" of the text are related to the calculations for the display and involve the "dpi" setting for the image.

mikey

I think that even Adobe (Photoshop) can be misleading. When creating something starting with New, that window refers to DPI when I feel it should be PPI.
In any case, it appears we know where we are getting at.
Thanks.
pd
regards.
pd

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting