Created a nice big test show, but now won't open again.

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Created a nice big test show, but now won't open again.

Postby bobsundance » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello folks,

First off, H E L P ! ! This show is for my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner and show tomorrow night! I am the ONLY entertainment for the event. Not a good idea, Anyway, I have become best friends with PhotoShow Gold 8. I so do not miss the old days of Roxio and Nero and all that grey-hair-generating software of 10 years ago. So if there is anyone who can help me, I will be eternally grateful!

My PSGold 8 has been pretty stable on my brandnew Dell laptop i5. There have been a few glitches, with continuing crashes that remain unexplained. But they are nothing compared to this problem! I truly love the 60% completed show I just produced, on a thumb drive and played flawlessly on my LG TV. I got a restful, peaceful night's sleep last night. Feeling confident this morning, I researched and found a help log suggesting deleting the .pxc file might prevent the crashes I was getting while editing ( usually when editing in the Effects tab on slides, but not sure )
Having deleted though, I CANNOT open the show again! ( I apologize for all the "!!" but they are warranted I believe ).

I keep reading the .pxc files are merely cache files and won't be missed, and will be newly created with a new opening. But, it loads only 49% -- every time -- and crashes. Sometimes it says it will close, other times it just hangs.

I very hopefully await ANY knowledgeable assitance with this! Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance.

Bob

Re: Created a nice big test show, but now won't open again.

Postby obeeone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 pm

G'day Bob

Possibly the PHD file has been corrupted. With PSG closed rename the PHD file (proshow.phd, it's in the installation folder of ProShow) to something else and then open PSG the file will be recreated.
If that fails I would be tempted to uninstall the program and reinstall it and I would reinstall it with your antivirus program turned off.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:47 pm

The .pxc file is indeed just a cache used by the program and deleting it has been known to fix strange crashes. If the .pxc file is missing, when Proshow opens the show it will rebuild the .pxc file for the show (although it may take a bit since it has to re-import everything). As to what you are currently running into, it is sort of a guessing game to figure out what is going on. You don't indicate which version of winders you are running or how much memory you have installed - low memory in particular can cause things to blow up. As a first test, take (if you still have it) the version of the show that was only 60% of the full one - can you still open that one? Can you open other shows?

If you can open others and the 60% one, then the next thing to try is to see if you can find where you run into trouble with the current one that is causing the problem. COPY the .psh file for the current one to a new name (like rehearsal_test.psh). See if you can open the test version (without "publishing" or rendering) - delete a bunch of the slides at the end. See if it now will render. What we need to do is figure out if it is something with that particular one or with all shows that is now causing a problem. Sometimes it can take a bit to find what is causing the problem (we have had issues in the past with corrupted audio or video files crashing things).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bobsundance » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Carl & mikey: G'day and a Big Thank you! to you two great members who offered some great and TIMELY ideas for fixing my urgent 'bug' mucking things up horrendously in the slide show I was producing for my daughter's big wedding and reception here in Boston, MA. It was quickly looking like a disaster on my hands.

Even though your suggestions didn't solve the key issue, I gained some awesome tips for the future, to help myself out and others.

The answer turned out to be 9 photo files residing on the iMac upstairs on my home network from which I imported the photos into PSG-8, and hence, boggled up the entire "opening" of the show data! Once I physically imported the 9 files into the laptop via a thumb drive, all was well!

I apologize it has taken me this long to get back here and inform you of the answer and to then thank you. Once the bug was fixed back on last Friday, I went into round-the-clock editing mode and then published the show and transported my laptop and my large 50" LG HDTV to the reception venue, with only 10 minutes to spare for my getting dressed to play the GRAND role of F.O.B. ( father of the
bride ), and have been recovering from the festivities ever since!

Many thanks again and again for trying to help me when I needed it most. And keep up the good work helping out other newbies like me and other frustrated ProShow users attempting to create the "Next Best" production!

Bobby

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:41 am

Very good! Glad you were able to solve the problem and the festivities went as planned. I have also been in that "round the clock editing mode" before and know how that goes. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was :D

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby obeeone » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:40 pm

G'day Bob

Great stuff, glad you solved it. It's always good to solve it yourself that way you learn how NOT to do it next time.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:55 pm

Hello

Happy end !

Many problems can be avoid creating folders with all images, sounds and video before creating the show or at least using the Proshow menu to create them and gather all files.

I help some friends about Proshow and sometimes, a few month after creating a show, then cannot open it because files where not gathered together and have moved elsewhere...
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:29 am

Marie78 wrote:Hello

Happy end !

Many problems can be avoid creating folders with all images, sounds and video before creating the show or at least using the Proshow menu to create them and gather all files.
I help some friends about Proshow and sometimes, a few month after creating a show, then cannot open it because files where not gathered together and have moved elsewhere...

Agree - that is the way I create a show - folder for the show with sub folders for images, sound, video and then I put copies of all the media used in the appropriate folders under the show. Makes life much easier.

mikey

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting