"Out of memory . . . "

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

"Out of memory . . . "

Postby hcajones » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Hello again. I have a very big, very fast computer with lots of memory, including lots of unused memory (RAM and hard drive). However, ProShow is periodically stopping on me without warning, whereupon I get a pop-up message that Photoshop has run out of memory and needs to close. There is there no way out of the program except to force a shutdown. Autosave retrieves most, but not all, of the show. I am woefully ignorant about what this might mean or how to prevent it. Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

Re: "Out of memory . . . "

Postby heckydog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

hcajones wrote:Hello again. I have a very big, very fast computer with lots of memory, including lots of unused memory (RAM and hard drive). However, ProShow is periodically stopping on me without warning, whereupon I get a pop-up message that Photoshop has run out of memory and needs to close. There is there no way out of the program except to force a shutdown. Autosave retrieves most, but not all, of the show. I am woefully ignorant about what this might mean or how to prevent it. Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

Did you mean to say the pop-up message is saying ProShow has run out of memory because you wrote Photoshop? (I added the highlight in your quote.)

PSP and PSG are 32 bit programs and can only ever access a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Even less than that since part of the 4GB is used for other processes. Around 3GB or a bit less is more likely.

There is a patch file you can try IF you have at least 8GB of RAM and have a 64 bit OS. The link will explain it. There's no guarantee that it will solve your problem.

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Joe

Postby hcajones » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm

I did mean ProShow, not Photoshop. Glad you could figure it out. I'll try the patch you suggested and see what happens. Thank you!

Postby bob2701 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:27 am

heckydog wrote:
hcajones wrote:Hello again. I have a very big, very fast computer with lots of memory, including lots of unused memory (RAM and hard drive). However, ProShow is periodically stopping on me without warning, whereupon I get a pop-up message that Photoshop has run out of memory and needs to close. There is there no way out of the program except to force a shutdown. Autosave retrieves most, but not all, of the show. I am woefully ignorant about what this might mean or how to prevent it. Once again, any help would be much appreciated.

Did you mean to say the pop-up message is saying ProShow has run out of memory because you wrote Photoshop? (I added the highlight in your quote.)

PSP and PSG are 32 bit programs and can only ever access a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Even less than that since part of the 4GB is used for other processes. Around 3GB or a bit less is more likely.

There is a patch file you can try IF you have at least 8GB of RAM and have a 64 bit OS. The link will explain it. There's no guarantee that it will solve your problem.

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Joe

I am having this problem with Producer 9, tried the patch and it did not help.
I have a Windows 10 Pro system with a i79700K CPU and 32GB of memory.
Back in 2016 with the help of a template from Jennifer at Choice Slides I created a 131 slide Family Tree Show in version 8. It worked perfectly and I published BluRay disks and MP4 files for the family.
Recently I brought the show into Producer 9 to bring it up to date. I added a total of 6 slides and changed some text on another 3 slides. When I try to publish it to a YouTube MP4 I get the memory error at about 50%. I made the same changes in Producer 8 and it publishes perfectly although it rendered a bit slower.
2 emails to Photodex support have gone unanswered....
Anyone have another idea to try? It's not the end of the world because I can always go back to version 8 but who wants to go backward. :)

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Hello

As already said, Prowshow is a 32 bits application then it does not use the 32 Go memeory but only what is left, by running applications, of the first 4Go.

Windows 10 uses more memory than older versions and Proshow 9 as well

You may try to, reboot, desables all non necessary applications, verify how many ram is used and run your publish process.

The patch is supposed to allow more memory. I never tried it but several peoples I know use it.
Chris Marie

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting