Missing caption style

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Missing caption style

Postby papabear » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:28 pm

I have a caption style in a previous show which allows me to create a caption with a white fill (by using a Texture of a white image) inside a black outline for the caption text. In the Caption Format Style drop-down menu, it is called "White in black". It allows me to have clearly visible text against either a light or dark background.

I cannot seem to access it in another show that I have created.

Where does Photoshow save these Caption Format styles? How can I use this in other shows?

Thanks

Re: Missing caption style

Postby cherub » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:14 am

Select this style in the Caption Style drop-down menu.

In Caption Format click on Manage
> Selected Caption Style >
Make sure you have a check mark on " Make this style available for new shows"

Postby papabear » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mona. Unfortunately, I had checked it. But when I try to apply it in another show, it does not work.

However, after I got your suggestion, I created a new show from scratch, and it was available there.

So I guess my question now becomes if there is any way to copy/export that caption style so I can use it on a show I am currently working on.

Thanks

Postby cherub » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:14 pm

I have to admit that I've never explored these caption styles in too much depth so far.
Your questions are all valuable ones. Unfortunately I am as clueless as you, especially on this new computer of mine, where I don't have any of the caption styles that I've created in past years.

The first thing that comes to my mind, in order to troubleshoot you, is to go through the process of "Add" as if you are making a new caption style out of this problematic one. Give this caption style a new name. See if you can apply this new caption style to your show.

Second thing that I would try, is to see what those options of "Export" and "Import" do. They are found in: Caption Format > Manage
I see that this process creates a file named capstyles.def that can be saved anywhere you wish on your computer.
I presume that this file includes ALL the caption styles, but I haven't put it to test.

The last option that I can think of, is to create a slide style out of this caption style using an empty slide.
You would then have to create an empty slide with this style for each instance where you wish to apply it. You can then combine this new slide (with the style) with any other slide that you have in your show. It's a convoluted solution, but right now nothing else comes to my mind.

Postby papabear » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Thank you, Mona!

I followed your 2nd suggestion (am not knowledgeable enough to try the first one), and it worked perfectly! What it did was to export all the caption formats that I have on the old show, and then I copied the capstyles.def file to the computer where I have the new show, and imported it. It asked me if I wanted to overwrite the formats that were common to both shows (I guess they are the standard ones), I told it not to, and it copied the White in black format into the new show. I should add that it let alone some other formats that I had in the new show, and so I exported everything into a new capstyles.def file for future use.

Thanks so much for your help--now I have captions that I can use against snow, as well as against dark backgrounds.

Postby cherub » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 am

So, we both learned something new today :-)
Glad that I could help.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting